March 3, 2017
During the month of March, we will be talking to the children about “Faithfulness,” this month’s Fruit of the Spirit. “God is faithful, and by him you were called to fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” (1Corinthians 1:9) We often pray our Diocesan theme prayer to the Holy Spirit, “Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit, and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth. O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen.” This prayer helps to remind us to keep faithful to the beliefs we have and to allow God to guide us on our path.
Our Lenten theme, “Pray and Give” continues over the 40 days of Lent. Thank you to those who donated food for the St. Patrick’s Center. Today was our deadline. I look forward to sharing the news of the class with the highest contribution. Although we really should not encourage competition when donating, it surely does motivate our students. Please encourage your students to continue giving to their rice bowls and also on Monday when we hold a dress down day for Nick Mercantini and his family.
Congratulations to our February students of the month! February’s fruit of the Holy Spirit was generosity. These students are generous with their time and talents to their classmates and teachers. Congratulations to Abigail Mahon (PreK 3), Maria Bartlett (PreK 4), Hayden Williams (K), Brenan Truver (1st), Jacob Matarese (2nd), Sean McGuigan (3rd), Alessandra Marte (4th), Madeleine Lawrence (5th), Makenna Sarver (6th), Madison Rieger (7th), and Luke Swift (8th). Great job!
Antonians Reminder – This Sunday, March 5th, the Antonians will be singing at the 9:00 A.M. Mass. Antonians, please make an effort to attend this Mass to sing for our parish. Thank you.
Bishop’s Visit – Yesterday, we had a wonderful visit with Bishop Malooly and superintendent, Dr. Louis DeAngelo. They first visited with Preschool through 3rd Grade in the Ballad Room, where they discussed what they were learning in school, Lent, and our Diocesan theme “Come, Holy Spirit.” The students sang a Fruits of the Holy Spirit song they had learned with Mr. Colligan, which the Bishop enjoyed hearing. Next, Bishop Malooly met with 4th through 8th Grade. All students came in and shook the Bishop’s hand and discussed the Diocesan theme, Lent, and what they were learning in classes, focusing on Black History Month and their Religion class. The students did an excellent job discussing what they had covered in Religion class, ranging from the Beatitudes, types of prayers, and the disciples, as well as telling the Bishop about all the famous African-Americans they have learned about.
Congratulations to the following students who have qualified to represent St. Anthony’s at the Knights of Columbus Free Throw Finals on Sunday, March 19th at 1:00 P.M. in the St. Peter’s New Castle Gym. Good luck!
- Girls 9 Year Old Angel Rizzo and Paulina Sidhu
- Girls 10 Year Old Hannah McGuigan and Lizzie Russell
- Girls 12 Year Old Nadia Black and Chelsea Lam
- Girls 13 Year Old Gracie Hillis
- Boys 10 Year Old Zach Brelick
- Boys 11 Year Old Giuseppe Iacono
- Boys 12 Year Old Michael Brelick and Vincent De Luca
- Boys 13 Year Old Luke Burdett
Terra Nova Testing – On March 20th, we begin Terra Nova testing for 1st through 8th Grades. These days are very long for the students. Please make sure your child gets to school on time because testing starts first thing in the morning. Students should bring in extra number 2 pencils, an eraser, a water bottle, and healthy snack to help them during the day.
Yoga Class/Art Club
- Yoga Class – For those who signed up for yoga classes with Michelle Pedicone, the classes will be held in the library and will end at 4:30 P.M. The classes will take place on the following days: March 6th, March 20th, April 3rd, April 17th, May 1st, and May 15th (final session).
- Art Club – For those enrolled in Art Club with Mrs. Everman and Mrs. DelGrosso, the classes will be held in the Art room and will run from 3:00 – 4:00 P.M. Art Club will take place on the following days: March 1st, March 14th, March 29th, April 11th, April 26th, and May 10th (final session).
If your students are registered for Yoga or Art Club, please mark your calendars for the above dates, as there will not be reminders sent each week. Thank you!
- During last week’s warm weather, many of our students and teachers took the opportunity to get outside and enjoy the lovely temperatures before the cold weather came back. Below is the 6th Grade enjoying Religion class outside.
Financial Aid for the 2017-2018 School Year – Financial aid packets are now available in the main office. A parent must come into the school office to sign out a packet. Students may not bring them home. All parents applying for financial aid to our school MUST apply to the Diocese first. This is a new policy. Please be aware that without a completed application to the Diocese, a family will not be considered for financial aid through our parish education fund. This is a new policy. Please contact Mr. Shields or Mrs. Serio with any questions.
*Reminder – Financial aid packets have to be completed and submitted by March 6th.
Monthly Social – Please join us for the parish socials on Sunday, March 12th (Second Sunday of March), after the 9:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M. Masses in the Ballad Room of the Grade School. Enjoy a variety of great food, including tomato pie & donuts from Serpe’s Bakery, breakfast pizza from Degnar’s Greenhill Deli, and other delicious food selections including mini-bagels & fresh fruit while catching up with fellow parishioners and friends. Hope to see you there!
Business Office News
2017-2018 Tuition Statements – For those families that have returned their Reregistration forms for next school year, you will be receiving an Agreement Confirmation Notice from FACTs. Please note that this may not be your final payment schedule. Credits for Financial Aid, Home and School Scrip Program, and Parish Offertory will be applied to your account at the end of May/beginning of June. If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Serio at Lserio@stanthonynet.org or
Important Dates – Please continue to check our school website (http://www.sapgs.org
) for upcoming events and information.
- March 6th – Student Council Meeting – PreSchool – 3:00-3:30 P.M.
- Confirmation Registration – Ballad Room – 6:15 P.M.
- Financial Aid Packets must be completed and submitted by this date
- March 8th – Child Find Testing – Preschool 3 and 4
- Home and School General Meeting – Ballad Room – 6:30 P.M.
- March 9th – 5th Grade Field Trip – Constitution Center – 9:15 A.M. – 1:45 P.M.
- March 10th – Stations of the Cross – Church – 2:00 P.M.
- March 11th – It’s Academic – St. Anthony’s – 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M.
- March 12th – Parish Social – Ballad Room – after the 9:00 A.M. and 11:00 A.M. Masses
- March 13th – First Eucharist Meeting – Ballad Room – 6:15 P.M.
- March 15th – Noon Dismissal – Professional Development
- An Evening of Sacred Music – St. John the Beloved – 6:30 P.M.
- March 17th – Stations of the Cross – Church – 2:00 P.M.
- March 20th –March 24th – Terra Nova Testing Week
Peace and Blessings,
Mrs. White and Mr. Shields
“Lent comes providentially to reawaken us, to shake us from our lethargy” ~ Pope Francis